A dementia diagnosis is devastating not only for the patients but their families as well. Watching a loved one slowly fade and withdraw from their former selves is incredibly difficult. This is why it is incredibly important to keep people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or other dementia-related diseases engaged in stimulating, familiar activities. According to experts, certain activities can provide a multitude of benefits for seniors diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Not sure what activity to choose? Below are a few suggested activities:
- Baking or cooking simple recipes together
- Cleaning the house or place where your loved one is residing
- Creating simple crafts, like knitting, or painting a picture together
- Reading books your loved one used to enjoy
- Reading the newspaper together
- Playing familiar music or singing a song together
- Tending the garden or visiting a botanical garden
- Watching family videos
- Putting together a puzzle
The Alzheimer’s Association recommends you keep in mind the following when choosing an activity:
- Stick with activities your loved one has always enjoyed and adjust, as needed, to match their current abilities.
- Take note on what your loved one enjoys. Does something, in particular, making them seem happy, anxious, distracted, or irritable?
- Be aware of physical problems.
- Focus on enjoyment, not an end result.
- Encourage involvement in daily household activities, like setting a table. This could make your loved one feel like a valued part of the household.
- Focus on activities that relate to a former career.
- Consider the time of day you do certain activities; you could get more engagement during particular parts of the day.
- Adjust activities to disease progression, like introducing more repetitive tasks as the disease develops.
Caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or dementia can be physically and emotionally draining. That’s why we’re here to help. At Ashton Manor Assisted Living & Memory Care, our expertly trained and dedicated staff members work tirelessly around the clock to provide memory care support to your senior loved one. Located in Luling, Louisiana, our team sees that every detail is attended to so that our residents can relax and enjoy the safety, security, and stress-free life of assisted living or memory care. Schedule a tour with us today.